Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mission Statement

I thought I would start my blogging experience by laying out what people can expect from my post.  I will key in on aspects of sustainability that are unique to those of us in the military and really anyone that is in a job where they move a lot.  I have really been feeling not prepared enough lately and when you look for preparedness information mostly it seems you find people stocking enough food for years or those hardcore snake eaters who plan to survive out of there bug out bag forever.  All that is great but what about those of us who have to move regularly for the military or any job for that matter, we cannot move a stockpile of food, weapons or equipment. I will discuss pretty much any topic that relates to sustainability and encourage people to email me with feedback and information.  It is important to me that this blog is transactional in nature.  I am by far not an expert in sustainability but I strive to get closer to self sustainability.  I will give you a background up to where I am at now and then you will be able to follow me through my journey toward self sufficiency.

I get asked all the  time if I am a "prepper?"  My answer to that is I believe in being ready for situations but I am not like those guys on "Doomsday Preppers." I think we all need to strive to be able to take care of ourselves in the event there is a natural disaster, food shortage or even if we loose a job.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with accepting assistance if you need it short term but I encourage people not to depend on it.  Also if you are prepared to handle situations they often times do not feel like as big of an emergency.

I also get asked if I am a survivalist?  I am not a survivalist by the radical definition that people have thrown on that term.  I think there are important skills we need to redevelop in order to survive but this concept that we are all going to be in the deep woods starting fires with bow drills is not likely even in a total collapse scenario.

This blog will focus on things people can do to create a HOMESTEAD no matter how temporary your location may be and with things that military and other people who move regularly for work can do for preparedness.

Please let me know if you have any topics you would like me to discuss.
  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good...can't wait for future posts

    ReplyDelete